Sunday, January 25, 2009

Exploring Iron Hill

We've started to settle in a bit, so have some time to explore. On Saturday we went to Iron Hill Park in Newark. It's not the highest point in Delaware, but it's the highest hill (or something like that). Anyway, we discovered that it has something for all 3 of us. I initially wanted to go because I knew it was the site of historic iron mining, and figured it might be a good field site (still lots of iron left in the gabbro intrusion, and where there's iron, there's iron bacteria! Well, it's all frozen right now, and covered in old leaves, but we did find a very nice dog park--a large fenced area amongst the trees, nicely kept up (read: no dog poop on the ground, unlike Carousel Farm, which is bigger, but...). Bear really enjoyed running around, chasing the ball, sniffing other doggies. There is also a frisbee golf course that Scott is excited to try sometime.

After a long time in the dog park area, we took a hike around the old mines and the rest of the park. Although it borders on I-95, it was pretty nice. Of course I got excited looking around at the rocks and the old iron ore. We'll be back soon for more dog park time, and exploring, especially once everything thaws.

Here's map/satellite pic. For reference, the university (and downtown Newark) is north of the park, on College Ave. and we live east of the park off of Old Baltimore Pike.


View Larger Map

No comments: