Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving

We spent Thanksgiving with our former roommate Rebecca, her boyfriend Carter, and my brother Emory. Scott and I were responsible for the turkey (a tradition, I think). This year, we decided to try brining the turkey for the first time, opting for an apple cider brine. It turned out well, with a subtle apple and herby flavor, though we agreed that it was slightly salty, and the brining didn't seem necessary (flipping the turkey partway through cooking keeps the breast moist, and using a thermometer helps tell when it's all done). We also made cranberry sauce and green bean casserole (Scott's specialty, recipe is from the fried onion can). Emory made all the orange foods (yams, squash latkes, and pumpkin pie), and Rebecca and Carter made veggie soup, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cherry pie...I'm sure I forgot something. There was a lot of food!

Rebecca and Carter start a dance party (inspired by one playing on TV...it was an odd show--a "seventies" dance party filmed in 1991).



Can you tell Carter loves turkey?


Emory shows off his pumpkin pie with homemade crust!


After dinner...

No comments: