Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Switching coasts again

An update on where we are: Scott just flew back to CA, to spend some time in the office (and field). Our friend Michael Finnegan ("Finny") from grad school/Scott's roommate is getting married on Saturday. Yes, on Valentine's day. I am going to fly out on Friday. It seems like we just left Berkeley, but we just can't seem to stay away.

Other updates:
I just got news that the building permits went through, so construction is going to be started on my Penny Hall lab on Monday, yay! Things got a bit hairy for a bit, as the project manager thought we were over budget...well, we were, but amazingly the extra money was found (that's got to be the *only* extra money lying around this country), and there was even enough that they decided to renovate my office too. I guess I mentioned that already.

This morning, Scott left on the airport shuttle around 5:30am. Of course Bear woke up and was confused. She thought she was being abandoned so she started howling intermittently. Poor dog, it was really really pathetic sounding, so of course I got up to make her stop. I wonder if she started again after I left for work...

Last weekend we went to visit our friends Lis and Brian in Baltimore--we had a great time catching up, walking our dogs, and playing Settlers and Apples to Apples. (Lis and I were in grad school together in Berkeley). We got to see their completely renovated home (*seriously* renovated, like, all surfaces replaced, and some walls too, and more. Brian has gotten to be quite a good woodworker as well, even making fancy furniture. Anyway, we don't have pictures of any of that, or even of Lis and Brian. However, I do have a picture of their dog Tioga, with Bear. Note Bear was not a very good guest, hogging Tioga's bed.


It was fun to see Lis pregnant--she's due in May, so is showing a bit. We hope to see them often now that we're close by.

No comments: